This cheese is an excellent example of artisan dutch cheese making. Reypenaer is a variety of Gouda that is made through a series of maturation stages in an entirely natural way. In fact, the secret ageing methods of Reypenaer are what give it the signature flavour. It continues to be a family business passed down through the generations of the Wijngaard family. They hold tastings at their tasting room in Amsterdam!
There are 3 different types of Reypenaer based on the aging period :.
- Classic Reypenaer that is matured for a year and comes out with a soft, creamy flavour.
- Reypenaer VSOP that is aged for 2 years resulting in a mature, strong and full bodied cheese with a delicate crystalline texture.
- Reypenaer X.O. reserve is aged for 2.5 years resulting in an extremely unique cheese that is available in very limited quantities.
The Reypenaer V.S.O.P. is made using traditional methods in a small cheese factory. It is then ripened for 2 years in the unique micro-climate of the old cheese warehouse built in 1906 that is located along the Oude Rijn river, Holland.
“The Reypenaer VSOP has an extraordinary intense taste with surprising mineral crystals and complex aromas: caramel, light chocolate and toffee.”
Have a great day! 🙂
Whole-wheat Almond & Cheese Biscuits
180 g – Butter, softened
100 g Reypenaer, grated
80 g Sharp/ mature Cheddar, grated
105 g Whole-wheat flour
75 g All purpose flour
180 g Almonds, chopped & roasted
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper
1. Beat the butter until it is nice and creamy. Mix in the grated cheese to make a smooth mix.
2. Add in the salt, pepper and flour. Mix till a soft dough forms. Mix in the roasted almonds.
3. Make sure they are fully incorporated. Divide the dough into 2 pieces, roll them into logs. Wrap these logs in cling film and chill for 15-20 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven at 180 C. Cut thick slices and bake them for 15 minutes for untill golden brown.