How was everyone’s month ? I made this recipe for an order and it was SO good I made another batch just for myself. I like the flexibility of this recipe in terms of the fillings. If you don’t like chocolate, you can add nuts and fruit conserve or butterscotch nuts with caramel. There are endless possibilities. Let your imagination run wild! So, let’s start:
1.Preheat the oven to 150 C and keep your small muffin tray ready. Cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and mix. Separately whisk together the flour, salt, and baking soda. Add this to the wet ingredients and beat until just combined. Add the chocolate chips and stir to combine.
2. Mix well to form a soft dough. Cut the dough in half and one half to make the bottom of the cookie. To make a bottom take a small ball (a tbsp) of dough and press it into the tin make a dent in the center for the filling and make sure the sides are higher.
3. My fillings were 1. Peanut Butter with a pinch salt (sounds wacky but just try it it is awesome) and 2. Nutella. You can use melted chocolate, peanut butter, caramel, nutella, jam or fruit conserves. Whatever you like better. I loved the salty peanut butter ones the best. I am not a nutella person but in this form it was pretty good. You can pipe it or use a tea spoon to put in the fillings.
4. Now, to make the tops with other half of the dough. Take a Tbsp of dough and flatten it with your hands. Gently press it in from the sides ONLY so that the filling doesn’t pop out from the sides and the cookie is joined.
5. Bake at 150 for 15-20 minutes, until the edges are just browned. As soon as they come out of the oven, run a knife around the edges to make for easy removing later. Cool completely before removing from the muffin tin.
These cookies are best enjoyed warm with a cup of cocoa or coffee! 🙂 Have a yummy weekend!
Chocolate Chip Lava Cookies (Yield: 1 dozen)
120 g Butter, softened
90 g Light Brown Sugar, packed
100 g Granulated Sugar
1 large Egg
1/2 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
210 g All Purpose Flour
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/2 Tsp Baking soda
200 g Milk or White Chocolate Chips
Choice of fillings: 128 g Nutella OR 128 g Peanut Butter (I added a pinch of salt and icing sugar) OR 128 g Dark Chocolate OR 128 g Caramel.
- Preheat oven to 150 C. Spray a standard size muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Add egg and vanilla and beat until well combined. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking soda. Add to the wet ingredients and beat until just combined. Add the chocolate chip and stir to combine.
- Using half the cookie dough, scoop 1.5-2 tbsp of dough, flatten it out a bit, and place in the bottom of the muffin tin. Repeat for a total of 10 cookies. Put a layer of nutella or peanut butter over the cookie. Scoop and flatten the remaining dough and place on top of the chocolate layer.
- Bake at 150 for 15-20 minutes, until the edges are just browned. As soon as they come out of the oven, run a knife around the edges to make for easy removing later. Cool completely before removing from the muffin tin.