I was going through my recipe book and realised that most of the recipes I had were cheesecakes and I got nothing but glowing reviews about these cupcakes. This recipe calls for browned butter instead of regular salted butter to take it up a notch and believe me it definitely does amp up the flavor. Now since I hadn’t made browned butter before I wasn’t and still am not sure if I got it right. There are two main traits that browned butter has 1.The brown color 2.A strong nutty smell. I achieved the smell but the color well, you can see the result.
Once you have your butter ready and are waiting for it to cool, get your dry and wet mixes ready.
The miracle happened when I added brown sugar to the butter, I had this glossy, thick and luscious mix which tasted AMAZING and definitely different from when you mix regular melted butter and sugar, so I say I succeeded in making browned butter. Beat in the eggs and one by one and then add the vanilla until fully incorporated.
Now, add the dry and wet mixes to the butter mix, alternating between the two. Mix and make sure you have no lumps. Start filling the cupcake liners about 3/4 way full with batter, then bake at 180 C for 20-24 minutes. I used a pre-made icing I wanted to test but you can make this buttercream frosting.
The result was a soft chewy yummy cinnamony, and that’s a lot of ys’ nevertheless it was awesome.
Yields: 24 small or 12 big cupcakes
- 240 g flour
- 1 + 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 + 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 200 g browned butter
- 90 g brown sugar, packed
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 60 ml milk (room temp)
- 60 ml brewed coffee
- Preheat oven to 180 C and line one 12 cup muffin pan with cupcake liners. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Combine milk and coffee in a small bowl.
- In a separate, larger bowl the beat browned butter and both sugars, followed by eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated. Beat in vanilla.
- Mix in flour mixture and milk/coffee mixture in alternating batches (start with flour, then some milk, then some flour etc) until everything is mixed together and a thick, smooth batter has formed.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 way full with batter, then bake at 180 C for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for a few minutes before carefully removing to a wire rack to cool completely.