I have been wanting to make this for quite some time now.Finally here it is :).Not to sound cocky but I think I totally nailed it ! I slightly overcooked the bottom of the biscuits on the first tray.So,I made another batch and the second tray of the first batch and the second came out perfectly.
So, first come the biscuits
we make the dough and roll it into small balls.the next step is to press in down gently with a fork dusted in icing sugar.
Take two halves and sandwich with the filling. Voila!
- 125 g butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (115 g) plain flour
- 1/4 cup (45 g) icing sugar mixture
- 1/3 cup (50 g) custard powder
- 60 g butter, softened, extra
- 2/3 cup (110 g) icing sugar mixture, extra
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- Step 1Preheat oven to 160°C. Line 2 oven trays with baking paper. Use an electric mixer to beat butter until pale and creamy. Add the flour, icing sugar and custard powder and use a wooden spoon to stir to combine.
- Step 2Use your hands to roll teaspoonsful of the dough mixture into balls. Place the balls 3cm apart on the lined trays. Use a fork dusted in icing sugar to gently flatten. Bake in preheated oven, swapping trays halfway through cooking, for 15 minutes or until just cooked through. Remove from oven and set aside for 30 minutes to cool.
- Step 3Use an electric mixer to beat the extra butter and icing sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy. Add the lemon rind and juice and beat until combined. Spread the butter mixture over the flat side of half the biscuits and sandwich together with remaining biscuits.