Guest blogger for today is Srishti Govil.
Stui bakes for the love of baking. I bake once in a while, when any dear friend turns a year older. I do the whole midnight-cake-at-your-doorstep parade. This time it was for Abhey’s 23rd, I got tired of variating chocolate cakes with ganaches so why not blend in some fruits?
Hence the idea of a Cake with some fresh pomegranate and good ‘ol faithful chocolate.
For the Cake :
1 1/4 cup Pomegranate Juice – fresh juice, see below for how.
2 Cups Flour (I prefer all purpose flour over maida)
1 3/4 Cup Castor Sugar
1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
3/4 Cup Butter
3/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
2 medium Eggs
2 tsp Vanilla Essence
50-100 grams Dark Chocolate (anything between 40% – 70%) – fine chopped.
For the Icing :
250 grams Dark Chocolate (anything between 40% – 70%)
1 Tbsp Fresh Cream
1 Tbsp Butter
1/2 Cup Pomegranate Grains
How to go about it:
The Pomegranate Juice: Use pure Pom Juice if possible which is easily doable at home… just peel the Pom and take the seeds out and blitz them in a blender then pass the concentrate through a sieve. I actually poured the concentrate onto the sieve placed over a bowl and left it for gravity to help out… about 20 mins later I got about 250 ml of juice from 3 medium sized Poms.
1. Mix the dry ingredients (Flour, Sugar, Baking Soda, Salt, Cocoa Powder).
2. Lightly whisk and combine the wet ingredients (Eggs, Butter-melt and then combine, Vanilla Essence). Add in the melted Dark Chocolate bits (if any).
3. Combine the wet and Dry ingredients.
4. Add in the Pom Juice slowly as you would add water when making cake batter.
5. Grease and Dust a Bowl/Dish and pour in the batter
6. I baked it in the microwave for 45 minutes at 650 (it was a very old microwave.)
Melt the chocolate in a bowl kept over another with boiling water, when melted add in the butter and cream and voila! nice glossy and thick icing.
Let the cake cool for half an hour…turn it upside down and cover it with the icing.
Sprinkle some Pom grains on top for decoration.
Verdict: The Birthday Cake was hit 😀