Back to basics number 1 – sponge cake (without egg)
1/2 tin (200 grams) condensed milk
140 g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
60 ml melted butter
1 tsp vanilla essence
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and soda bi-carb together.
- Mix the flour mixture, condensed milk, melted butter, essence and 75 ml of water and beat well.
- Pour the mixture into a greased and dusted (6″) diameter tin.
- Bake in a hot oven at 200 degree C for 20 min. Then reduce the temperature to 150 degree C and bake for a further 10 min.
- The cake is ready when it leaves the sides of the tin and is springy to touch. When ready, take out from the oven and leave for 1 minute. Invert the tin over a rack and tap sharply to remove.
TIP: In an electric oven, it takes more time then said in the recipe and remember to switch the lower rods on after sometime.